Lebanese-Armenian Vigen Euljekjian Abducted by Azerbaijan on November 10, 2020, the Day After the Ceasefire Agreement. Vigen Euljekjian was unarmed, a civilian who was captured by Azerbaijani special forces while being evacuated from Shushi. On June 14, 2021, he was sentenced to 20 years in prison on baseless charges of illegally crossing the border, terrorism, and being a mercenary.
France24 has published an article on Vigen Euljekjian and other Armenian prisoners held in Baku. In an interview with the news outlet, Vigen's wife, Linda Euljekjian, recounted how, after days of waiting, she finally received a call but barely recognized her husband's voice. “He joked with me,” Linda said, “which he had never done before. I am certain they are giving him sedatives.”
According to the report, Vigen is one of 23 Armenian hostages currently held in Azerbaijan. Among them are the political and military leaders of Nagorno-Karabakh, arrested during the mass exodus following Azerbaijan’s military assault in September 2023. This includes former presidents Arkadi Ghukasyan, Bako Sahakyan, and Arayik Harutyunyan, former foreign minister Davit Babayan, and former state minister Ruben Vardanyan.
Azerbaijan accuses Armenian prisoners of terrorism, separatism, and war crimes. However, as human rights lawyer Siranush Sahakyan, who represents Armenian prisoners at the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR), told France24, “Azerbaijan’s judiciary is not independent and functions as a tool for political repression and the expansion of executive power.” She emphasized that the trials in Baku fail to meet the fundamental international legal standards established by key legal documents.
International human rights organizations have confirmed systematic torture and inhumane treatment in Azerbaijani prisons, including beatings, mock executions, humiliation, sleep deprivation, and physical abuse. This indicates that Azerbaijan has institutionalized punitive measures against Armenians based on ethnic discrimination.
The article also discusses Ruben Vardanyan’s hunger strike. Images from recent court sessions showed visible signs of physical abuse on his face and noticeable weight loss. Despite his deteriorating health, the Azerbaijani court has refused to postpone the trial, insisting that he attend the hearings.
From prison, Vardanyan has demanded that his trial be held publicly, with the participation of international observers. “They are not just prosecuting me and 15 others, but Armenians all over the world,” he declared. He also reaffirmed that his 2022 decision to renounce Russian citizenship and settle in Nagorno-Karabakh was entirely conscious and deliberate.
The article states that international indifference toward the condition of Armenian prisoners in Azerbaijan is growing. Diplomatic efforts to secure their release have so far been ineffective. Despite evidence of human rights violations, Western governments have taken no concrete action and have limited themselves to issuing statements. The European Parliament has condemned the imprisonment of Armenian detainees but has not imposed any sanctions that would force Azerbaijan to change its position.
Լուսանկարը՝ © AFP - Antonin Utz